The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award for schools
Essex County Council holds the licence to operate The Duke of Edinburgh's (DofE) Award in Essex. We deliver the award directly through four youth centres and supports over 70 schools in Essex with their DofE provision. Are you a young person - Start doing your DofE Award with us
The DofE Award is the world's leading youth achievement award for 14-24 year olds.
Bronze – for those aged 14+ years (or in the school year in which your peer group turn 14)
Silver – for those aged 15+ years (or in the school year in which your peer group turn 15)
Gold – for those aged 16+ years
More than 3,000 young people start their award in Essex each year. We are striving to grow this number year on year with your support.
Are you interested in setting up The DofE Award at your school?
Contact us: DofE@essex.gov.uk
Why work under our DofE Award licence?
- You will be assigned to a member of our DofE team who will work with you closely to set-up the award, taking you through each step and helping you to iron out teething problems
- We will support you to set-up your own expedition provision, or we will advise you on local Approved Activity Providers (AAP's)
- Competitively priced versus schools being directed licenced with DofE
- Be kept up-to-date - our team are available over the phone, email and we will send you termly newsletters
- We will meet with you termly to discuss your progress, your training needs and to help identify new opportunities
- Join us as a delegate on our Introduction to DofE courses for just £35 (outside of our licence, delegates pay £125).
- Join us on our ECC Expedition Skills Course for new leaders for just £75 (outside of our licence, delegates pay £175)
- If requested, we can set-up and run eDofE training for you and your leaders (no additional charge)
- We print and despatch award certificates and badges, saving you the admin task
- Attend our annual DofE Leaders Conference free of charge (outside of our licence, delegates pay £125)
- Attend our annual DofE Gold Award Celebration at Chelmsford Cathedral for all Gold participants who complete the award under our licence
- Gain equipment discount with Access Expeditions
- Apply for our DofE bursary to support participation - which can save 30% off practice and qualifying expedition costs
- Refer students to our annual DofE Funded Programme (free of charge for participants), which supports disadvantaged young people across the county. This is only open to those schools working under our licence
- Request to borrow expedition equipment free of charge*, such as tents, roll mats, Trangia's and rucksacks. *Dependent on availability
Training and Events
DofE leaders now have greater access to DofE training opportunities within Essex. Here’s what we have coming up:
DofE Leaders Conference
For all Essex DofE leaders, support staff and volunteers, this event is based on developing expedition leader skills through a series of practical based workshops. Free to attend for schools operating under our licence.
Secure your place by registering: eDofE
eDofE Training – for schools operating under our licence
We run eDofE training periodically throughout the year for school DofE leaders and support staff. To express interest in this course, contact us at: DofE@essex.gov.uk
ECC Expedition Skills Course – for schools operating under our licence
Become accredited to supervise DofE bronze walking expeditions this season, without the need for a national walking qualification. This two day course combines training and assessment in one and is held locally in Essex. Completion of this course will allow you to supervise DofE bronze expeditions in Essex under the ECC DofE licence. To express interest in this course, contact us at: DofE@essex.gov.uk
Gold Award Presentation
Every year we organise and hold a prestigious award evening for Gold DofE achievers and their families. This is a fantastic opportunity for us to celebrate the successes and commitment of local people and is designed purely for those groups that completed their DofE programme through Essex County Council.
Find out more
Talk to us about The DofE Award! We'd love to hear from you. Contact us: DofE@essex.gov.uk