Bronze DofE Expedition – 22nd and 23rd August
The 3 days concludes with an end of summer Bronze DofE walking expedition. Watch this film to see what you can expect from this two-day adventure: https://youtu.be/4sE43M9aGI0
Participants will need to make their own way to and from:
Essex Outdoors Danbury, Well Lane, Danbury CM3 4AB.
Tuesday 22nd arrival 0930
Wednesday 23rd collection 1600
Please note, you have already provided us with consent to participate in the expedition experience. However, it is not compulsory. Please notify us if you do not wish to attend.
Expedition Kit List
Please find below a recommended kit list. We encourage you to borrow kit where possible. We do hold a supply of some kit, please inform your team leader if you need to borrow any items on the list, including waterproofs and sleeping bags.
We will provide participants with a rucksack, roll mat, tent, Trangia (cooking stove), gas, maps and compasses, and ingredients for the evening meal.
Participants will need to provide:
- Clothes – T-shirt (ideally a wicking material like a gym top. If not, cotton is fine), fleece/jumper, trousers (not jeans or thick jogging pants)
- Spare changes of clothes
- Sun hat, sunglasses
- Sun cream
- Waterproof jacket and trousers – it can rain a lot in August!
- Walking boots/shoes. Trainers are acceptable at bronze level, however Converse are not recommended
- Sleeping bag
- Head torch
- Snacks for two days walking – dried fruit, flapjacks, trail mix, cereal bars
- Water bottle(s) or bladder - 2 litre minimum
- Cutlery, plate/bowl, mug
- Minimal personal wash kit including toilet roll/tissues
- Optional flip flops/light weight shoe for campsite use only
- Watch (at least two in the group as mobile phones are sealed for emergency use only)
- 1x pack of matches for stove lighting
- 1x washing up kit between expedition team (small washing up liquid, sponge, tea towel)
- Individual first aid kit – those bought new usually consist of the following items:
- Blister plasters, triangular bandage, latex gloves, cleansing wipes, wound dresssings (different sizes), bandages, safety pins, micropore/adhesive tape, scissors, tweezers, tic remover, painkillers
- Personal medication
Continuing with The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award
We would love for you to continue!
Beyond the expedition, we want you to continue your Bronze DofE Award journey. At the end of the expedition, just tell us if you wish to continue with the rest of the award and we will get you signed up for free. Watch this film to see what you can expect: https://youtu.be/GuZMfKbMW6M?t=57
By completing and passing* the two-day expedition element of the summer programme, you will have achieved your DofE Award Bronze expedition. That means you just need to complete three remaining sections to achieve the entire bronze award. These sections are skills, physical and volunteering which can take as little as 6 months to achieve.
*The leader team is there to support the expedition teams meeting all 20 conditions of the expedition section. If teams meet all 20 conditions of the expedition, the team will achieve a pass. This pass can be recorded on eDofE: The 20 Conditions of the Expedition section - The Duke of Edinburgh's Award (dofe.org).
We look forward to seeing you soon!
Essex Youth Service Team