Begin your Duke of Edinburgh's adventure with the Bronze Award. You can register for the Bronze Award if you are currently in the academic year that you turn 14 years old (year 9).
Bronze Award Registration
Registration for the Bronze Award costs £95 which equates to less than £4 a training session.
This registers you as a participant on The DofE Award which gives you a eDofE number and welcome pack so you can begin recording your activities. Registration includes weekly evening expedition training sessions which run from November through to July.
Our expedition training sessions are mainly focused on learning expedition skills - everything from camp craft to navigation and route planning. These sessions prepare you for the Expedition section of the award. We will also provide you with one to one support with eDofE. The Volunteering, Physical and Skills sections are completed in the participants own time.
Every autumn term we kick start the new intake of DofE participants on their journey. Sessions are run at seven different locations across Essex and are held on a regular basis, which is how it differs from our virtual programme. You can register at any point on the award to make a start on the physical, skills and volunteering sections, but all participants registered made after January 31st 2020 will begin their expedition training from the autumn term in 2020. Evening sessions run weekly/fortnightly during term time only and run through to the summer term.
- Chapel Street Youth Centre, Braintree – Thursday evenings 7.00pm
- The Hermit Youth Centre, Brentwood – Monday evenings 7.00pm
- Chelmer Gate Youth Centre, Chelmsford (Bronze Award only) – Wednesday evenings 7.00pm
- Galleywood Youth Centre, Chelmsford (Silver and Gold only) – Tuesday evenings 7.30pm
- Colchester Townhouse Youth Centre, Colchester (Bronze Award only) – Monday evenings 7.30pm
- Colchester Townhouse Youth Centre, Colchester (Silver Award only) – Monday evenings 7.00pm
- Colchester Townhouse Youth Centre, Colchester (Gold Award only) – Monday evenings 4.30pm
- Hadleigh Youth Centre, Hadleigh – Tuesday evenings 7.00pm
- Hare Street Youth Centre, Harlow – Tuesday evenings 7.00pm
- Loughton Youth Centre, Loughton – Monday evenings 7.00pm
Volunteer in the community: 3 or 6 months
You'll volunteer about 1 hour a week doing something to help your community. For example, you could help out a charity shop, animal rescue centre or be a marshal at your local parkrun.
Do a physical activity: 3 or 6 months
Time to get physical! You'll start a new sport or progress in your existing sport or activity for an average of 1 hour a week. Set yourself a goal and go for it.
Develop a skill: 3 or 6 months
Discover a hidden talent and a new passion. You could learn how to code a website from scratch or make pottery. It takes 1 hour a week to develop a new skill or improve an existing one.
You have to complete a further 3 months in the volunteering, physical or skills section. You can decide which one to do for 6 months.
Hiking expedition: 2 days /1 night
As part of a team, you’ll plan and complete fun and challenging expeditions. You'll navigate and hike in the countryside, camp under the stars, cook in the outdoors and be self-sufficient. The practice and qualifying expeditions take place in the spring and summer.
- Award registration: £95
- Training day: indicative cost £15
- Practice expedition: indicative cost £60
- Qualifying expedition: indicative cost £70
Costs can vary at the time of booking due to the mode of transport, staff numbers and campsite costs.
You can take part at venues across Essex:
- Braintree, Chapel Hill Youth Centre
- Brentwood, Hermit Youth Centre
- Chelmsford, Chelmer Gate Youth Centre
- Chelmsford, Galleywood Youth Centre
- Colchester, Colchester Townhouse Youth Centre
- Hadleigh, King John School
- Harlow, Hare Street Youth Centre
- Loughton, Loughton Youth Centre
Get in touch
If you need more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org