Complete your Duke of Edinburgh's experience with the Gold Award. You have to be at least 16 years old to take part.
Gold Award Registration
Registration for the Gold Award costs £159 which equates to less than £5.50 a training session.
This registers you as a participant on The DofE Award which gives you a eDofE number and welcome pack so you can begin recording your activities. Registration includes weekly evening expedition training sessions which run from November through to July.
Our expedition training sessions are mainly focused on learning expedition skills - everything from camp craft to navigation and route planning. These sessions prepare you for the Expedition section of the award. We will also provide you with one to one support with eDofE. The Volunteering, Physical and Skills sections are completed in the participants own time.
Our next DofE programme starts in the autumn term of 2019 on the following dates. Evening sessions run weekly during term time only and run through to the summer term.
- Chapel Street Youth Centre, Braintree – Thursday 14th November, 7.00pm
- The Hermit Youth Centre, Brentwood – Monday 11th November, 7.00pm
- Chelmer Gate Youth Centre, Chelmsford (Bronze Award only) – Wednesday 13th November, 7.00pm
- Galleywood Youth Centre, Chelmsford (Silver and Gold only) – Tuesday 12th November, 7.30pm
- Colchester Townhouse Youth Centre, Colchester (Bronze Award only) – Monday 11th November, 7.30pm
- Colchester Townhouse Youth Centre, Colchester (Silver Award only) – Monday 11th November, 7.00pm
- Colchester Townhouse Youth Centre, Colchester (Gold Award only) – Monday 11th November, 4.30pm
- Hadleigh Youth Centre, Hadleigh – Tuesday 12th November, 7.00pm
- Hare Street Youth Centre, Harlow – Tuesday 12th November, 7.00pm
- Loughton Youth Centre, Loughton – Monday 11th November 7.00pm
If you register after the first training session, please attend the youth centre on the weekday evening that the session runs on, at the time stated. Sessions run weekly during term time only. You will be required to attend catch-up training sessions.
What is the latest date I can register for the award?
You can register a place with us at any point throughout the year. Once registered, you will receive your DofE welcome pack through the post within approximately 10 working days and an email from our team with your eDofE username and password. You can get started on the Volunteering , Physical and Skills sections of the award.
If you register after 31st January 2020 your expedition training sessions may take place in the summer holidays or commence from the autumn term of 2020.
Volunteer in the community: 12 months
Understand what life is like for others in your community by volunteering one hour a week. You could take part in fundraising, coach at your local Guide group or help clean up a local beach.
Do a physical activity: 6 or 12 months
Take your sport to the next level or try something new. Popular sports include water polo, martial arts, archery, rock climbing, even tap dancing. The options are endless.
Develop a skill: 6 or 12 months
Learning a new skill improves self-esteem and confidence. And you never know, it may turn into your chosen career. Commit on average one hour a week to practice your skill.
Either your physical or skills section require a 12 month commitment. You decide what you want to focus on.
If you haven’t completed the Silver Award, you must undertake a further 6 months in either the volunteering or the longer of the physical or skills sections.
Hiking expedition: 4 days/3 nights
The Gold expedition takes perseverance, commitment and endurance. You’ll be with your friends hiking, cooking and camping in the great outdoors for 4 days and 3 nights. The practice and qualifying expedition take place in the spring and summer.
Stay away on a residential trip: 5 days/4 nights
On a residential trip you could help rebuild footpaths with the National Trust, teach people English at a language school, work abroad in a summer camp for children, build a school in Africa or learn to snowboard in Scotland.
- Award registration: £159
- Practice expedition: indicative cost £250
- Qualifying expedition: indicative cost £300
Costs can vary at the time of booking due to the mode of transport, staff numbers and campsite costs.
You can take part at venues across Essex:
Get in touch
If you need more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org