Complete your Duke of Edinburgh's experience with the Gold Award. You have to be at least 16 years old to take part.
Gold Award Registration
Registration for the Gold Award costs £159 which equates to less than £5.50 a training session.
This registers you as a participant on The DofE Award which gives you a eDofE number and welcome pack so you can begin recording your activities. Registration includes weekly evening expedition training sessions which run from November through to July.
Our expedition training sessions are mainly focused on learning expedition skills - everything from camp craft to navigation and route planning. These sessions prepare you for the Expedition section of the award. We will also provide you with one to one support with eDofE. The Volunteering, Physical and Skills sections are completed in the participants own time.
Every autumn term we kick start the new intake of DofE participants on their journey. Sessions are run at seven different locations across Essex and are held on a regular basis, which is how it differs from our virtual programme. You can register at any point on the award to make a start on the physical, skills and volunteering sections, but all participants registered made after January 31st 2020 will begin their expedition training from the autumn term in 2020. Evening sessions run weekly/fortnightly during term time only and run through to the summer term.
- Chapel Street Youth Centre, Braintree – Thursday evenings 7.00pm
- The Hermit Youth Centre, Brentwood – Monday evenings 7.00pm
- Chelmer Gate Youth Centre, Chelmsford (Bronze Award only) – Wednesday evenings 7.00pm
- Galleywood Youth Centre, Chelmsford (Silver and Gold only) – Tuesday evenings 7.30pm
- Colchester Townhouse Youth Centre, Colchester (Bronze Award only) – Monday evenings 7.30pm
- Colchester Townhouse Youth Centre, Colchester (Silver Award only) – Monday evenings 7.00pm
- Colchester Townhouse Youth Centre, Colchester (Gold Award only) – Monday evenings 4.30pm
- Hadleigh Youth Centre, Hadleigh – Tuesday evenings 7.00pm
- Hare Street Youth Centre, Harlow – Tuesday evenings 7.00pm
- Loughton Youth Centre, Loughton – Monday evenings 7.00pm
Volunteer in the community: 12 months
Understand what life is like for others in your community by volunteering one hour a week. You could take part in fundraising, coach at your local Guide group or help clean up a local beach.
Do a physical activity: 6 or 12 months
Take your sport to the next level or try something new. Popular sports include water polo, martial arts, archery, rock climbing, even tap dancing. The options are endless.
Develop a skill: 6 or 12 months
Learning a new skill improves self-esteem and confidence. And you never know, it may turn into your chosen career. Commit on average one hour a week to practice your skill.
Either your physical or skills section require a 12 month commitment. You decide what you want to focus on.
If you haven’t completed the Silver Award, you must undertake a further 6 months in either the volunteering or the longer of the physical or skills sections.
Hiking expedition: 4 days/3 nights
The Gold expedition takes perseverance, commitment and endurance. You’ll be with your friends hiking, cooking and camping in the great outdoors for 4 days and 3 nights. The practice and qualifying expedition take place in the spring and summer.
Stay away on a residential trip: 5 days/4 nights
On a residential trip you could help rebuild footpaths with the National Trust, teach people English at a language school, work abroad in a summer camp for children, build a school in Africa or learn to snowboard in Scotland.
- Award registration: £159
- Practice expedition: indicative cost £250
- Qualifying expedition: indicative cost £300
Costs can vary at the time of booking due to the mode of transport, staff numbers and campsite costs.
You can take part at venues across Essex:
Get in touch
If you need more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org