Continue your Duke of Edinburgh's experience with the Silver Award. You can register for the Silver Award if you are currently in the academic year that you turn 15 years old (year 10).
Silver Award Registration
Registration for the Silver Award costs £149 which equates to less than £5 a training session.
This registers you as a participant on The DofE Award which gives you a eDofE number and welcome pack so you can begin recording your activities. Registration includes weekly evening expedition training sessions which run from November through to July.
Our expedition training sessions are mainly focused on learning expedition skills - everything from camp craft to navigation and route planning. These sessions prepare you for the Expedition section of the award. We will also provide you with one to one support with eDofE. The Volunteering, Physical and Skills sections are completed in the participants own time.
Every autumn term we kick start the new intake of DofE participants on their journey. Sessions are run at seven different locations across Essex and are held on a regular basis, which is how it differs from our virtual programme. You can register at any point on the award to make a start on the physical, skills and volunteering sections, but all participants registered made after January 31st 2020 will begin their expedition training from the autumn term in 2020. Evening sessions run weekly/fortnightly during term time only and run through to the summer term.
- Chapel Street Youth Centre, Braintree – Thursday evenings 7.00pm
- The Hermit Youth Centre, Brentwood – Monday evenings 7.00pm
- Chelmer Gate Youth Centre, Chelmsford (Bronze Award only) – Wednesday evenings 7.00pm
- Galleywood Youth Centre, Chelmsford (Silver and Gold only) – Tuesday evenings 7.30pm
- Colchester Townhouse Youth Centre, Colchester (Bronze Award only) – Monday evenings 7.30pm
- Colchester Townhouse Youth Centre, Colchester (Silver Award only) – Monday evenings 7.00pm
- Colchester Townhouse Youth Centre, Colchester (Gold Award only) – Monday evenings 4.30pm
- Hadleigh Youth Centre, Hadleigh – Tuesday evenings 7.00pm
- Hare Street Youth Centre, Harlow – Tuesday evenings 7.00pm
- Loughton Youth Centre, Loughton – Monday evenings 7.00pm
Volunteer in the community: 6 months
You'll volunteer about 1 hour a week doing something to help your community. For example, you could help your local Scout group, football club or center for people with disabilities.
Do a physical activity: 3 or 6 months
Push your physical boundaries by setting yourself a challenge. You could look to increase your running distance or master your back-hand in tennis. Set yourself a goal and go for it by committing on average one hour a week.
Develop a skill: 3 or 6 months
Hiking expedition: 3 days /2 nights
- Award registration: £149
- Training day: indicative cost £15
- Practice expedition: indicative cost £120
- Qualifying expedition: indicative cost £150
Costs can vary at the time of booking due to the mode of transport, staff numbers and campsite costs.
You can take part at venues across Essex:
- Braintree, Chapel Hill Youth Centre
- Brentwood, Hermit Youth Centre
- Chelmsford, Chelmer Gate Youth Centre
- Chelmsford, Galleywood Youth Centre
- Colchester, Colchester Townhouse Youth Centre
- Hadleigh, King John School
- Harlow, Hare Street Youth Centre
- Loughton, Loughton Youth Centre
Get in touch
If you need more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org