The Bronze DofE Award
Begin your DofE Adventure with the Bronze Award. Open to all backgrounds, cultures and abilities, DofE can be a game-changer - raising your self-esteem, aspirations and opening doors to employment!
Start your DofE award at any point in the year and make connections and friends outside of your school. There's no restrictions as to when or where you can join.
What age can I start?
You can register for the Bronze Award if you are currently in the academic year that you turn 14 years old (year 9). You can start your Bronze Award at any point between the ages of 14 and 24 years old.
- Volunteering in the community for 3 months
- Working towards a physical goal for 3 months
- Working towards a skills based goal for 3 months
- Venturing on a 2 day/1 night expedition
PLUS commit to a further 3 months in either of the volunteering, physical or skills sections.
For further information about what to expect, read DofE's summary of all the sections
How are the sections approved and evidenced?
- Select the timescales on eDofE for your Volunteering, Physical and Skills sections. Don't worry if you're not sure, you can always go back and edit these dates later. This video can help you get started: eDofE | How to use the DofE App - YouTube
- Submit the activity you’d like to do for each section. Please check the activity is permitted for each section. For section ideas, visit: Ideas for Activities - The Duke of Edinburgh's Award (dofe.org)
- Your DofE Leader will review the activity you've submitted. Once they have approved, you're ready to get started
- At the end of the section, you will need to ask your identified assessor to write a short assessor report evidencing your work towards your chosen goal. This can be completed using the relevant page from your welcome book, or completed online: Assessor’s Report - The Duke of Edinburgh's Award (dofe.org)
- Your DofE leader will review, approve and sign-off sections
How much is it?
Registration for the Bronze award is £95 payable upon registering for the award. This registration fee includes:
- eDofE account creation
- DofE physical welcome pack
- eDofE support and advice - join our monthly support calls or email us anytime
- Leader approving evidence and approving/querying sections
- Award verification
- Badge and Certificate processing
- Training sessions - taking place at either a youth centre or virtually. View our 2023/24 programme dates and what's involved.
The expedition section which includes a Practice and Qualifying expedition costs £160. Totalling 4 days. This is payable at the point of expedition booking or can be paid in three instalments.
Our qualified and experienced DofE leaders support participants through their entire DofE journey, from start to finish. They prepare participants for the expedition plus provide one-to-one support with eDofE and give guidance on section activities throughout the entire award journey.
Expedition Snapshot - what to expect
- Practice Expedition: 2 days/ 1 Night
- Qualifying Expedition: 2 days / 1 Night
As part of an expedition team (between 4 and 7 young people), you’ll plan and complete two fun and challenging expeditions. You'll navigate and hike in the countryside, camp under the stars, cook in the outdoors and be self-sufficient. The practice and qualifying expeditions take place between April and October each year.
In the lead up to, and throughout the qualifying expedition, participants are assessed against DofE's 20 conditions. Read the 20 conditions of the Expedition section.
When do I get started?
You can register and start your DofE journey at any point in the year. You can get started with the physical, volunteering and skill sections when you receive your eDofE account and welcome pack. If you want to get set-up on eDofE ahead of your first training session, watch this eDofE training video. There are lots of recommended videos to watch, so do take a look at the full training list.
Get in touch
Our friendly DofE Award Team would love to hear from you: DofE@essex.gov.uk